Garageband is one of the most popular music composing apps available for Mac OS users and iOS users on iPad. Whether you are an aspiring musician or a pro musician, GarageBand shall be an ideal companion for you.
The only issue is that since the official version is, Garageband is only available for Apple users, people using windows are left behind.
If you would like to know how to get GarageBand for windows pc, you should read ahead.
With the process given below, you will easily be able to run GarageBand for your windows system.
So let’s dive in
From newbies to pro musicians, everyone seems to be allured with the Garageband app. Built-in 2004 and shipped across Apple devices by 2005, it is till date one of the most successful applications made by Apple.
Here, users can do everything related to music like curating music tracks with the help of pre-made MIDI keyboards, loops and a bunch of musical instruments which are auto-tuned along with voice recordings.
Time and again the software has been introduced by Apple with new features that are truly fascinating and make the whole process of music creation even more fun.
The best part is that the app is now free which wasn’t the case until 2017 before that Apple would charge iOS users $7 to run the app.
Now since it’s so popular, everyone wishes to use but as it is with all apple products, this software is only available on Apple devices and if you are a Windows PC user, you will have to use other means to use it on your system.
Features of Garageband for PC:
- The best app for aspiring musicians, instrument players, and pro musicians
- The application can be used to create a totally unique one of a kind music track
- The UI(User Interface) and UX(User Experience) of the software is very clean and user-friendly
- The app gives you the facility to create more than a million unique tracks
- Ability to select from 9 electric and acoustic drum styles along with their unique sounds
- DJ style effects to create EDM music styles and also create effects such as a repeater or vinyl scratch
- You can use multiple fingers at the same time and record your music
- Get to play, capture and record your music and once done, you can share it too
- It also lets you use a virtual or an external keyboard to connect to the app using a USB cable download
Download Garageband for Windows 10/7/8/8.1/Vista
Since Garage band is an app that only works on Apple devices, there is no direct way to use the app on a PC/Laptop. Apple is yet to come with an official version of GarageBand for PC and Laptop. Though that’s why you are here, we will help you run the app on your windows system. Go through the below ways and implement the one that fits your system.
Minimum System Requirements
- Windows Vista 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 operating system
- 4 GB RAM or higher
- Intel i3 processor or higher
- Minimum 2 GB of Disk space
- VMware workstation free trial(during setup)
- A free version of VMware workstation player(running the machine)
- VMware Mac OS X or later unlocker else Oracle VM Virtualbox
- A system that supports either Intel VT-x or AMD-V
How to Get GarageBand on Windows PC/ Laptop?
You will come across several ways to run the Garageband on PC but most of them won’t work and some may even harm your system. You will have to either emulate the Apple’s ecosystem in your windows system or else use a virtual machine. The recommended way is to always use a virtual machine as it ensures no harm is caused to your machine.
Today most of the PC are using either running Intel or AMD processors. To run the app on your system the method differs as per the processor on which your PC is running.
How to use VMware to Install MacOS on Windows PC?
A virtual machine is basically a software which allows you to run an alternative operating system on a particular system. In this case, we will be creating a MAC OS virtual machine on our Windows PC and then load GarageBand onto it. To make this happen you will simply need a copy of MacOS Sierra and a copy of VirtualBox.
Lets’ jump right in
- First of all, you need to download a copy of the MAC OS from the safe google drive link –> here
- Once it is downloaded, extract the macOS Sierra folder using any extracting tool like Winrar
- Open the folder in this sequence>> macOS sierra> macOS Sierra 10.12 and tools> Final youtube Folder> unlocker208
- See for the file win-install and run it as administrator
- A black window called command prompt shall come up, it is basically the macOS establishing changes after accepting the necessary permissions from windows.
- Now download and install VMware workstation player which is available free of charge from → here
- Launch the VMware from your desktop or default location
- Click on “Open a Virtual Machine”
- A new window will pop up and you need to select the folders in this sequence>> macOS Sierra> macOS Sierra 10.12 and Tools> Final Youtube FOlder> macOS Sierra and then select the option macOS 10.12
- A virtual window shall appear, click on “Edit Virtual machine settings”
- In the hardware tab, you will see a number of options, click on memory. On the right side, you can decide how much RAM to dedicate to the VMware. If you have 8GB RAM then set 4GB for VMware and likewise.
- Click on Processors and you will see the option to choose the “Number of processor cores”. If your processor is quad core, it is recommended that you set it to two.
Watch the below video if can’t follow the steps:
Steps to Install Garageband App on your PC
Now that you have downloaded the VMware and Apple OS, the final step is to boot the system, setup and download Garageband App
- Re-launch VMware workstation 10 and “Play Virtual Machine”
- The bootup will start and take up to 10 minutes to load
- Select the country, keyboard language, transfer information and enable location for better efficiency of apps
- Create or Sign up for an Apple ID as this will enable you to download Garage Band software
- Agree the given terms and conditions
- You will see the iCloud keychain option, select “Set up later”
- Select your time zone
- Once the above steps are done, your macOS will start setting up and you will be soon greeted by the Apple Desktop
- Go the Apple Store, type GarageBand and click on the first GarageBand download link to get the App
- What is the best and a legit way to run Garageband on a windows system?
The best and a legit way to run the app on your PC is by downloading a copy of MAC OS and run it on your PC using a virtual machine. Simply said, it just replicates the Apple ecosystem on your Windows PC. Thus it is both the best and a legit way.
- Is there a version of Garageband for Windows PC?
No, Apple is yet to release a windows version of this app. It is highly unlikely that it ever will since it faces a serious competition from Microsoft in other segments of the industry.
- How to download GarageBand for PC/Mac for free?
For MAC, the process is very simple. You just have to search GarageBand software in the Apple App store and install it. For PC users, we have curated a guide above, have a look and you certainly can!
- Will my windows system be able to run Garage Band?
Yes, but you will be required to check your system settings if it can handle the app as it is a very heavy app. With the help of a copy of MAC OS and a virtual machine, your windows PC will definitely be able to run the app.
- Can I edit movies in Garageband?
No, you can’t. Garage Band is a music composition app and it won’t let you edit any movies.
Garageband is definitely one app that has brought many laurels to Apple and their app store.
It has allured many aspiring musicians and creative artists to start using Garage Band as their mainstream app to create music.
We would have stopped complaining if Apple would have been generous enough to allow windows users to enjoy the awesomeness of this app by releasing an official version of GarageBand for Windows PC.
But nevertheless, we have made sure to get you rolling by elucidating you with the best process that shall allow you to run the software.
Still, if there is any problem that comes, we are dedicated to helping you resolve it. Shoot it the comment box below